Water conservation begins at home. We can all play a part in being more responsible with our water usage.
Try these simple tips to start making a big difference at home:
1. Check for leaks in your toilet.
Put a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank. If the coloring begins to appear in the bowl without flushing, you have a leak that could be wasting more than 100 gallons of water per day.
2. Avoid flushing tissues/cigarette butts
Every time we flush a cigarette butt or tissue away, it takes five to seven gallons of water with it.
3. Take shorter showers
A typical shower uses 5 to 10 gallons of water per minute. Limit your showers to the time it takes to soap up, wash down, and step out.
4. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth
Before brushing, wet your brush and fill a glass for rinsing your mouth. Turn off the water while you brush your teeth and save up to 4 gallons a minute.
5. Turn off the water while shaving
Fill the bottom of the sink with a few inches of warm water in which to rinse your razor.
6. Don't leave the water running while you're cleaning vegetables.
Simply put your vegetables in a bowl or sink full of clean water and rinse. Wash all fruits and vegetables in one bowl instead of rinsing below the tap.
7. Never pour oil or grease in the drain
It requires too much water to rinse it down and may clog the drain.
8. Use buckets and tubs to wash your car or the dog
Instead of a continuous running hose, use buckets and tubs to wash your car or dog.
9. Re-use the water for cooking pasta to water your plants.
10. Cook food in as little water as possible.
This also helps retain more nutrients.
11. If you accidentally drop ice cubes, don’t throw them in the sink. Drop them in a house plant.
Little changes in our daily habits can make a big difference. We know that habits are hard to adopt. On average, it takes around 2 months to adopt new habits. With anAngel, we make it easier than ever to embrace a healthy habit in you daily life. You also get to have rewards! Simply join the ‘Anou fermrobine kan nou bros leden’ campaign and check in daily after saving water to collect points that can be used for discounts and other rewards.